You need something to do.
But nothing particularly appealing comes to mind.
So, what should you do?
Luckily for you, we’ve put together this list of things you can do when boredom strikes.
25 Fun Things To Do When You’re Bored
1. Play a card game – yes, there are some you can play by yourself, but the best games are for multiple players. President is one of our favorites – here are the rules.
2. Play a board game – there are thousands to choose from and most will provide lashings of fun and laughter.
3. Play a computer game – whether alone or with friends, you can enjoy the challenge of one of the countless games on console or PC.
4. Play a sport – there are too many to list, but why not indulge in some tennis, basketball, golf, or whatever takes your fancy.
5. Watch a movie – it can be an old favorite of yours or something you’ve never seen before (see our list of movies that make you think).
6. Binge a series – there is no end to the great series now on offer through TV and streaming services. Grab your duvet and get cozy on the couch.
7. Watch funny YouTube videos – from crazy cats and cute children to celeb fails and bizarre things caught on camera, you’ll be LOLing for hours.
8. Sing along to your favorite hits – whether you’re a karaoke queen or tone deaf, it doesn’t matter if it makes you smile.
9. Play with your pet – cat, dog, hamster, parrot… it doesn’t matter what they are, you can have a lot of fun engaging with your favorite non-hooman.
10. Try new hairstyles – grab your brush, hair spray, hair dryer, gel, clips, etc. and see if there’s a new style that suits you.
11. Fly a kite – let the wind be your friend as you take flight, even though your feet are firmly on the ground.
12. Visit an arcade – if one still exists near you, get lost in nostalgia playing old games and have a go on the latest machines.
13. Hunt some ghosts – research some haunted places nearby and have a spooky time visiting them.
14. Learn a magic trick – impress your friends by mastering a trick that’ll have them guessing how you did it.
15. Go roller skating – take to 8 wheels with skates or blades and see where the mood takes you.
16. Go on a road trip – be spontaneous, get in the car, and see where the road takes you.
17. Go for a picnic – pack all your favorite treats, grab some friends, and hit up your local park.
18. Go bowling – have you ever met anyone who doesn’t enjoy bowling? Me neither.
19. Have a water fight – if the weather is nice, get some water balloons, pistols, hose pipes, and swimwear and go wild!
20. Create a playlist – carefully curate some tunes that fit together perfectly around a theme. It’s like a mixtape, only better.
21. Make a slip ‘n slide – then throw yourself down it again and again.
22. Make a gift list – browse things online and make a wishlist of items you would like to receive for Christmas or your birthday.
23. Play Twister – you’re never too old to play this party classic with your friends.
24. Browse AskReddit – you get some pretty cool questions and some pretty weird answers, but it’s mightily entertaining.
25. Daydream – and we don’t just mean ruminate on your problems. Let your imagination run riot. Anything’s possible.
30 Creative Things To Do When Bored
1. Origami – honestly, it’s challenging, but fun, and you can make some truly amazing things just from folding paper.
2. Upcycle something – an old chair, some spare vinyls, that dress you never wear anymore… breathe life into them again.
3. Bake treats – cookies, cakes, pastries, and breads are just some of the delicious treats you can make and enjoy (with friends is always a good idea).
4. Make a floral table centerpiece – grab some floral foam and some loose flowers and arrange them into a stunning display to go on your dining room table. (Check out this video tutorial –> How To Make A Posy Flower Arrangement)
5. Start a window box herb garden – you don’t have to be green-fingered or have a garden to grow and enjoy fresh herbs.
6. Make a cocktail – try your hand at mixology by combining various spirits and mixers to create something tasty (again, best to share with friends).
7. Make some jewelry – it’s easier than you think to find supplies and create your own bracelets and necklaces.
8. Create a vision board – it’s basically a collage of pictures and words that show your goals and dreams in life.
9. Make your own soap – yes, it’s something you can do in the kitchen and enjoy in the bathroom. Here are some instructions.
10. Draw something – it could be a still life, a self-portrait, or something from your imagination that you put down on paper. Heck, you can even just doodle random things.
11. Paint something – get the watercolors, acrylics, or oils out and put brush to canvas/paper.
12. Knit – knitting is back in the big time and can be a relaxing way to spend an afternoon. It’s not as hard as it looks and can be learnt quickly.
13. Crochet – it’s a bit like knitting, only different. Another fun way to keep your hands busy.
14. Sew – with fabric and thread, you can make clothes, decorations, even Christmas stockings if you like.
15. Decorate a room – plan your ideal room with color charts and fabric samples and then execute it.
16. Take photographs – of people, places, birds, animals, landscapes, buildings… whatever grabs your eye.
17. Make/collect models – you can buy and build detailed models of all sorts of things from ships to iconic movie paraphernalia.
18. Build Lego – whether you follow instructions or make something from your imagination, you can spend many an hour building things.
19. Write a poem/story – let your imagination wander and put some words down on paper.
20. Write a love letter – even if you don’t have a partner, write one to your best friend or mom.
21. Brew your own beer – there are loads of kits you can buy, or you can try to do it yourself from scratch.
22. Make greeting cards – for birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Mother’s Day, or whatever celebration is coming up next.
23. Learn calligraphy – being able to write beautifully will come in handy in all sorts of ways.
24. Make some music – grab an instrument if you have one, or just write some lyrics and sing them.
25. Do some coloring in – it’s no longer just for kids, you can now get adult coloring books with amazing designs.
26. Make scented candles – with a little bit of melting, scenting, and setting, you can have your own candles in your home. See here for inspiration.
27. Make a patchwork quilt – sew loads of fabric squares together to make something beautiful to hand down through the generations.
28. Create a scrapbook – save your memories and important keepsakes in one place and add to it whenever you get bored.
29. Start a woodwork project – from simple boxes to garden furniture, you can make a lot with some wood, glue, screws, nails, and a saw.
30. Make something from papier-mache – it’s a childhood craft favorite, but there’s absolutely no reason why you can have fun with paper and paste as an adult.
You may also like (article continues below):
- 28 Things To Do When You’re Home Alone And Bored Out Of Your Mind
- Why You’re Feeling Bored With Life (+ What To Do About It)
- How To Make Time Go By Faster (At Work Or Anytime)
- 16 Fun Things To Do With Your Best Friend
- The Simple Things In Life: A List Of 50 Little Pleasures
15 Cool Things To Do When You’re Bored
1. Stop Motion Animation – yes, with just your phone, an app, and the things around your home, you can create neat animated videos.
2. Bury a time capsule – get a waterproof and rustproof vessel, fill it with personal things, and bury it somewhere so that you can dig it up in 10 years or more (or leave it for someone else to find).
3. Make and fly paper airplanes – compete against your friends for furthest flight and best aerobatics.
4. Make a basic go kart – you’ll need some wood, wheels, and other things, but you get to race it once you’re done!
5. Race remote controlled cars – whether in your local park or at a proper track, go up against your friends to see who’ll cross the finish line first.
6. Make a movie – you and your friends can be the stars as you come up with a storyline, props, and costumes.
7. Look at the stars – assuming it’s dark, go outside and turn your gaze upwards (possibly with the help of a telescope) and wonder at the universe.
8. Learn the guitar – it’s by far the coolest instrument, wouldn’t you say?
9. Learn to juggle – proper juggling balls work best, but you can juggle pretty much anything that can fit in your hand (just be careful it’s not breakable).
10. Try to break a world record – it won’t be official if you do, but it’s a good way to challenge yourself to all sorts of weird and wonderful things.
11. Make balloon animals – you’ll need the right type of balloons, but it’s something you can impress others with once you master it.
12. Learn to beatbox – practice making and combining various noises with your mouth.
13. Join a fantasy sports league – there are loads of free online leagues for all the major sports.
14. Start a blog – it can be about anything you find interesting. It might even earn you a few pennies too.
15. Build a bonfire – just be sure to do it safely and somewhere it’s permitted.
15 Interesting Things To Do When Bored
1. Research your family tree – you can do this online and by visiting your local library or government building where records are kept.
2. Learn a language – and it doesn’t have to be one you speak; you could learn sign language.
3. Do a crossword puzzle – challenge your intellectual wits against the clues and see if you can complete the grid.
4. Take online quizzes – there are so many subject matters on which to test your trivia knowledge.
5. Start a collection – of whatever takes your fancy. Coins, postcards, beer cans, Beanie Babies.
6. Bargain hunt – visit thrift stores and flea markets to see if you can find any valuable items going cheap. You can either keep them or sell them on for a profit.
7. People watch – find a spot with lots of people and then watch and wonder who they are and what’s going on in their lives.
8. Go to public talks – lots take place every day of the week in big cities, and you’ll find them in smaller towns and villages too. They cover all sorts of topics.
9. Invent something – is there something you wish you had that doesn’t exist? Invent it. Who knows, you might make a fortune from it.
10. Take virtual museum tours – lots of major museums now allow you to visit them from the comfort of your own home with their virtual tours.
11. Strike up a conversation with a stranger – you never know what stories you might hear. You could sit down next to a real-life Forest Gump.
12. Watch a documentary – learn something new about a topic you are interested in. TED talks are also good mental stimulation.
13. Take an online course – there are courses for literally everything you can imagine… and plenty for things you can’t!
14. Set some goals – think about 3 things you want to achieve; one in the next week, one in the next month, and one in the next year.
15. Start a wormery – let these wriggly creatures take care of all your food scraps. It’s a win-win for all involved.
15 Active Things To Do When You’re Bored
1. Go geocaching – hunt for treasure. Ok, not treasure, but you still have to go places and look for things and it’ll take you on an adventure.
2. Go beachcombing – yes, actual treasure this time. Pirate treasure, perhaps. Probably not, but you can find some interesting things washed up on the shoreline.
3. Go for a walk – no, seriously, get out the house and put one foot in front of the other. It does wonders for your body and mind.
4. Go on walking tours – make walking a bit more interesting by taking in the history of a town or city.
5. Tend to your garden – dig, cut, mow, sow, prune, weed, plant, and more.
6. Go bird watching – spy on our feathered friends by heading into nature and looking for as many species as you can.
7. Forage – whether for fruits, vegetables, or other edible goodies, just be careful that you only pick things that you have properly identified as safe.
8. Circuit training – it’s a great way to work out lots of different muscle groups in one go.
9. Go litter picking – tidy up your local neighborhood and protect the wildlife that lives there by clearing away trash.
10. Volunteer – dedicate your time to those less fortunate or to a cause you care about.
11. Go bug hunting – see how many different types of creepy crawly you can find in your garden or local park.
12. Dance to your favorite tunes – put on some upbeat music and bust a move in the comfort of your home.
13. Go to the gym – you might as well use this time to get that workout session out of the way.
14. Go on a bike ride – hit the roads or countryside on two wheels and feel the wind in your face as you explore new places.
15. Go swimming – visit your local pool and put some lengths in. It’s a great all-body workout that’s easy on the joints.
15 Practical Things To Do When Bored
1. Organize your bookshelf – you could do it alphabetically, by genre, by author, or even by the color of the book’s spine.
2. Declutter – you almost certainly have more things than you need. Why not get rid of some of it? Give it to charity or sell the most valuable items.
3. Feng Shui your house – make sure your rooms adhere to the principles of this ancient Chinese practice.
4. Prepare for Armageddon – or, at the very least, get you and your family prepared for the worst by packing a survival grab bag.
5. Groom your pet – our animal companions need to be looked after, so why not do it when you are otherwise bored?
6. Pickling/canning – build up your stocks of prepared food for when you want something out of its growing season.
7. Plan your meals for the next 7 days – that way you won’t have to stress over what to cook later on (and you can buy the necessary ingredients).
8. Empty your inbox – take each email and either delete it or archive it to a separate folder. Then sit back and admire the emptiness.
9. Make a bucket list – avoid future boredom by listing all the things you really want to do in life (so that you can plan and do them!)
10. Wash your car – be honest, it’s looking a little grubby and could probably do with a clean.
11. Do the housework – doing it when you’re bored means you don’t have to do it when you’re not.
12. Write your will – nobody likes to think about death, but it is a good idea to have some sort of plan in place for the worst.
13. Find better deals – whether for your utilities, your TV package, or your insurance, you could almost certainly save some money by switching.
14. Plan your next restaurant trip – browse menus, read reviews, and decide where you’ll go next. That way you’ve got it all organized ahead of time.
15. Free up space on your phone – delete any photos you don’t really need to keep and get rid of any apps you no longer use.
10 Easy Things You Can Do When You’re Bored
1. Read a book – it’s so easy to relieve your boredom by engrossing yourself in a good novel.
2. Meditate – it’s the perfect time to practice meditation and you can do it anywhere at any time.
3. Listen to a podcast – there are shows for almost every interest possible and they are typically free to tune in to.
4. Look at old photos – get all nostalgic and reminisce with friends or family about old times.
5. Take a nap – time passes really quickly when you’re asleep. Rest and recharge your batteries.
6. Stretch – you’ll feel so much better after you’ve stretched out all the muscles in your body.
7. Take a bath – another way to relax when you’re bored and have time on your hands.
8. Do a jigsaw – it’s simple, it works the gray matter, but it’s also quite relaxing in a weird sort of way.
9. Call a friend – make it one you haven’t spoken to in a while. It’s great to catch up on each other’s lives.
10. Read the news – it’s good to stay informed. Why not try your local news to keep up to date about the things going on in your area?