What can you say to a man to make him feel good about himself?
How can you compliment a guy in a way that is authentic and effective?
That’s what we’re going to look at in this article.
So let’s jump right in.
How To Compliment A Guy: 8 Things To Keep In Mind
When complimenting a man – whether it’s your boyfriend, boss, or friend – it’ll have the most positive effect if you follow these tips.
1. Make it true and sincere.
When it comes to compliments, people can usually tell when someone is not being entirely honest.
And receiving a fake compliment is likely to have the opposite effect on a guy than what you hope to achieve.
So don’t exaggerate details, don’t joke, and definitely don’t lie.
Guys like to hear things that they can believe. There has to be some truth behind the compliment and it has to be delivered in a genuine and sincere way.
2. Make it specific.
Generic compliments are okay, but to really make him stop and appreciate what you’ve said, mention something specific.
“You look nice,” is not a bad thing to say, but, “You look very handsome in that color shirt,” is far more effective.
It gives the man something to focus on. If all you do is say how nice he looks, he won’t really know what specifically you like.
3. Focus on what he prides himself on.
If you know that a guy makes a particular effort on something, it’s a good bet that he’ll like to hear nice words about it.
Quite often this will be an aspect of his physical appearance, such as his muscular physique or his sense of style.
But it could also be something related to a talent or trait he has that he is proud of, such as his cooking skills or quick-witted humor.
4. But compliment his other good points too.
It can be very flattering to hear positive words about some aspect of ourselves that we are unsure of – or something we never really considered in the first place.
These sorts of compliments can provide an even bigger boost to a man’s self-esteem.
They will reassure him that he is loved not only for his most prominent positive qualities, but for the all-round person he is.
Just be sure to keep in mind the first tip and make your compliment true and sincere.
5. Refer to how he makes you feel.
If you’re complimenting your boyfriend or husband, it can really help to mention how he makes you feel.
Many men like to feel needed, and the right compliment can help with this.
You might say, “I love how you…” or, “I feel so … with you,” or, “You make me feel so…”
These sorts of compliments show the guy the effect they have on you, which will give them all sorts of good feelings about themselves.
6. Unexpected compliments are good.
There is certainly a balance to be struck between too few and too many compliments.
Too few and he might feel like you don’t care enough. Too many and he might not believe them.
One of the best ways to ensure he believes you is to make your comments somewhat unexpected.
When he hears something nice about himself out of the blue, it’ll reach far deeper than if you only say nice things in those more obvious situations.
Catch him off guard with a “You’ve got such a kind smile,” and his heart will melt.
7. Decide how to deliver the compliment.
Generally speaking, compliments made in person are the most effective.
He can then read your facial expression, your body language, and other non-verbal cues.
Smile at him and look him in the eyes when you say it. This will convince him that your words are genuine.
If you aren’t able to do it in person, a text can also be effective, as can a heartfelt letter.
With texts, you might wish to avoid physical compliments. After all, it’s less likely to have the same effect if you aren’t actually present with him.
Instead, hone in on some sort of detail from your conversation.
Perhaps he is telling you about a difficult customer he served at work – you could compliment him on his patience.
Or maybe he mentions how is helping his friend out with a DIY project – you could say how kind or generous he is, or what a great friend he is.
In a letter, you can get away with physical compliments a bit more.
Let’s face it, if you are writing him something more substantial, there’s probably a good reason for it (e.g. it’s his birthday, your anniversary, Father’s Day, or maybe because you’re long distance right now).
On these sorts of occasions, a letter or message in a card can include multiple compliments relating to all of the things you love about him.
8. Don’t fish for a compliment back.
Compliments are expressions of admiration. They are not hooks with which to fish for nice words about yourself.
If the only reason you want to compliment a guy is so that he compliments you back, it’s not going to be as sincere, is it?
Say it for him and him alone. Sure, you may get a warm feeling from it, but that’s just a pleasant by-product. Your real aim should be to make him feel good about himself.
You may also like (article continues below):
- How To Be A Good Girlfriend: 10 Tips To Making Your Boyfriend Happy
- 30 Fantastic Ways To Show Your Appreciation To Your Partner
- 12 Things Men Look For In A Woman (And Definitely Want In A Wife)
- 20 Things A Guy Might Mean When He Calls You ‘Beautiful’ Or ‘Cute’
- How To Flirt With A Guy/Girl: 15 No Bullsh*t Tips
40 Compliments For Men To Make Them Feel Good
Now that you know how to compliment a guy, let’s explore some of the best compliments you could give to him.
Compliments about his looks.
1. Your hair is so on point today – especially if his hair is a big part of his style.
2. That shirt really brings out the blue in your eyes – works for green eyes, too, but not so much brown.
3. I love your beard/stubble/mustache, it makes you look very manly – men like to appear manly.
4. Your skin looks great – because men have skin insecurities too, you know.
5. You could wear anything and make it look good – some guys really suit every style.
6. Wow, you can really tell you put the effort in at the gym, those arms of yours are impressive – or pecs or six-pack…
7. Your smile is the most welcoming thing I’ve ever seen – some guys have a naturally beautiful smile.
8. You smell amazing – ok, so not exactly about his appearance, but it’s in the same vein.
9. I love the way you carry yourself – for guys who stand tall and keep their head high.
10. That’s a cool tattoo – then ask what made them get that particular design.
Compliments about his personality.
1. You have such a positive attitude and that’s so attractive – does he always look on the bright side of life?
2. You are so determined and motivated to make something of your life and I know nothing will stand in your way – isn’t it refreshing to see a guy with a little get-up-and-go?
3. You are just so comfortable with who you are, which I love – for guys with high self-esteem.
4. You are so open-minded about things – it’s a fantastic trait to have.
5. You’re not afraid to take a risk and go outside your comfort zone – a really good one for entrepreneurs.
6. You’re just so fearless, nothing seems to faze you – is he the one who would walk into a pit of snakes without blinking an eye?
7. You’re hilarious, I don’t know how you do it – for the really, really funny guy in your life.
8. You’re so in touch with your feelings – for the man who isn’t afraid to show his sensitive side.
9.You are by far the most fun person to be around – does he make an occasion pop and sizzle just by showing up?
10. You’re the most generous person I know – is he a giver in everything he does?
Compliments about his actions.
1. The way you handled that situation was really admirable – if he’s kept his cool under difficult circumstances.
2. You are such a great listener, and I truly appreciate that in you – is he able to close his mouth and open his ears? Not all guys can.
3. I know I can count on you for sound advice in any situation – do you go to him for his wisdom when you don’t know what to do?
4. I’m so proud of how you [insert something he has done to improve himself and his life – e.g. given up smoking, made your business a success] – because he wants to know you are proud of him.
5. Wow, you did a really great job of [insert something he has done well, e.g. decorating a room, cooking a meal] – it’s nice to know that his efforts are appreciated.
6. You treat me with so much care and respect, more than any man I’ve ever met – is he attentive to your every need?
7. You are so amazing with the kids, you are a great dad – if he’s a father (biological or otherwise), this will mean so very much to him.
8. I love how you try to have a positive influence on everything and everyone around you – is he always looking for ways to make the world a better place?
9. Thank you for making such an effort, you really know how to make someone feel loved – when he has gone to the ends of the earth to do something nice for you.
10. I’m in awe at how you [insert an impressive physical feat – e.g. ran that marathon, are so skillful with a basketball] – does he have the strength, endurance, or talent in a physical sense?
“You make me feel so…” compliments to give him.
1. I feel so safe with you – if he protects you and looks after you.
2. You make me feel like I’m on a great big adventure – when life with him is never boring.
3. I love how I can just be myself around you – when he is fully accepting of everything you are.
4. You know how to make a girl feel beautiful – a compliment for a guy who is good at giving compliments.
5. There’s something about you that makes me want to grab you and kiss you – if he’s just so magnetic and attractive.
6. You make me feel like I can achieve anything – when a guy supports you at every possible turn.
7. I feel so relaxed around you – when he knows how to help you forget your worries and just chill.
8. I am so lucky to have you in my life – for the guy who is a huge positive influence on you.
9. I feel so inspired by you – if he is a role model to you by the things he does.
10. I am always so interested by you – if he says interesting things and tells exciting stories.